Buildings in Fabric

3 August 1919

The historic buildings in Fabric, apart from stoically holding their ground as time goes by, bring history into sight and silently tell stories. This is the place they are presented, from their beginnings up until now.


blvd. 3 August 1919, no. 11
The Archduke's House

Built around 1870, this was the first two-story building in Fabric, which led to some discontent from the other owners in the neighbourhood, who feared that by copying this init...

blvd. 3 August 1919, no. 2
The former Apollo Movie Theatre

The second movie theatre in Timişoara, built in 1909 by Georg Pflum, an entrepreneur, after arch. Josef Ecker Jr.’s designs. Starting with 1913, the movie theatre came under the...

blvd. 3 August 1919, no. 4
Ferencz Pruschinovsky House

In the second half of the 19th century, on this area there was only a park (the so called Vorpark), owned by the city after it had been given away by the army, under the conditi...

blvd. 3 August 1919, no. 33
The Mirbach House

In the 19th century, on this land there was a one-level house belonging to Pavle Sterio Polichroni. His daughter, Ana Maria, married to Count Mirbach, built the present house be...

blvd. 3 August 1919, no. 31
Dr. Emanuel Kohn House

The house was built in 1935 and is one of the most distinguished examples of interbelic architecture, corresponding to the ‘cubist’ current. The building’s architect, Albert Kr...

blvd. 3 August 1919, no. 27
The former "Queen of England" café

Although the building’s current state does not suggest this, here used to be one of the most appreciated establishments in Fabric: ‘Regina Angliei’ (‘Queen of England’) café (in...

blvd. 3 August 1919, no. 19
Palatul Lőwy Mór

Lőwy Mór House, built in historicist/eclectic style, is, in terms of volume, the most imposing building on 3 August 1919 Boulevard. An interesting detail of the building is tha...

blvd. 3 August 1919, no. 13
Kunz Widow's House

The Kunz Widow’s House (or Mrs. Josef Kunz House) was one of the first buildings to appear after the ban to build on Timişoara citadel’s esplanade was lifted, in 1868. It is cl...

blvd. 3 August 1919, no. 7
J. Heymann House

The J. Heymann House and Anheuer House got their construction permit and were finalized in the same time, but they presented completely opposite plastic expressions. The Anheue...

blvd. 3 August 1919, no. 5
Anheuer House

The Anheuer House was built between 1900-1901 in Secession style, with the help of civil engineer and designer Eduard (Ede) Reiter. Its facade stands out through the beautiful ...

blvd. 3 August 1919, no. 3
Karl Kunz House

Fabric was the neighbourhood in Timişoara where the Kunz family members erected the most buildings, both for themselves, and for their clients. The house on number 3, 3 August ...

blvd. 3 August 1919, no. 1
Székely Widow's House

The Székely Widow's House was one of the first buildings constructed on Andrássy (today 3 August 1919 Boulevard), which marks the monumental entrance in Fabric. It was built in ...

blvd. 3 August 1919, no. 9
Steiner House

Max (Miksa) Steiner developed the Max Steiner Spodium Factory, situated on Buziaşului Road in Fabric, which produced spodium, bone flour and animal coal. Thanks to the factory, ...