Heritage of Timișoara

Iosefin 6 Sfânta Maria sq.

István Nemes Apartment Building

Completion date:

November 5, 1902

  • Architect: Arch. Lipót Baumhorn
  • Former Owner: István Nemes
  • Construction authorization: April 16, 1902
  • Property type: Private property
  • Protection type: Historical Site
    Urban site "Old neighborhood of Iosefin"
  • Main arch. style Art Nouveau/Secession
  • Current condition Fair
  • Planimetry Rectangular Complex
  • No. of levels 3
  • Current functions Multiple property
    Bank/Financial Services/Insurance

Built in the 1900s style, the István Nemes Apartment Building has three storeys and closes the perspective of the Gheorghe Doja Street.

The roof area is decorated with pediments typical of the architecture at beginning of the 20th century, decorated with Art Nouveau elements. The facade is adorned with phytomorphic ornaments, in particular lines ending in whip-like curves (coup de fouet), as well as with anthropomorphic and geometric ornaments.

The ground floor of the building, meant for commercial purposes, has been modified and no longer reads as one unit, an aspect that has been captured in the illustration created by Livia Coloji for the Heritage of Timișoara: Iosefin project. The decoration of the building greatly resembles the usual architectural vocabulary of Lipót Baumhorn, but so far the hypothesis hasn’t been confirmed by our project team.

The land was bought by István Nemes from Timisoara City Hall in 1902, valuing 8556 crowns. The palace was erected in the same year in just 7 months (April 16 - November 5, 1902).

Authors of this file:

Research & text: Mihai Moldovan, Alexandra Palconi

Field research & mapping: arh. Vlad Pată (coordonator), Raul Andrei Rusu (voluntar)

Translation into English: Cristina Chira

Photographer: Flavius Neamciuc

Last modified: 3 months ago

Niciun material de pe această platformă online/site nu poate fi reprodus parţial, integral, modificat fără permisiunea anterioară explicită, prin acordul scris al Asociaţiei PRIN BANAT.

Conţinutul acestei platforme online/site, textele, grafica, fotografiile, software-ul, logo-urile şi orice alte materiale prezente pe site sunt protejate de legea dreptului de autor şi sunt proprietatea Asociaţiei PRIN BANAT. Află mai multe în secțiunea Terms & Conditions.

Add your contribution to this building!