According to old images, the building had already been erected when the ‘Millenium’ Roman-Catholic church was being built (1896-1900) in Coronini Square (today Romanilor Square). The name ‘Zala’ (the owner’s wife) comes from interbelic times.
Lorand Bloch, a Jewish man born in 1909, lived here. In 1941, he was detached to the working camp at Păuliş-Ghioroc (Arad county), where he died, on November 12th, 1943.
In 2014, the first and only Stolperstein (cobblestone-size concrete cube, commemorating victims of Nazi extermination or persecution) in Timişoara and Romania was set here, commemorating him.