Built around 1870, this was the first two-story building in Fabric, which led to some discontent from the other owners in the neighbourhood, who feared that by copying this initiative, their houses would lose value.
The building was constructed by Josef Kunz (1823-1895), an entrepreneur and owner of the Josef Kunz & Comp. brick factory, headquartered on Buziaşului Road. What’s more, Josef Geml, mayor of Timişoara between 1914-1918, mentions in his monography that almost the entire row of buildings on 3 August 1919 Boulevard, starting from the Kunz House up to ‘Regina Angliei’ (Queen of England) tavern in Romanilor Square (today 29 3 August 1919 Boulevard) was built by Josef Kunz. What is certain is that the building across the street (1 Episcop Joseph Lonovici Street), the second two storey building in Fabric, was also built by Joseph Kunz. Because of this, Episcop Joseph Lonovici street was called ‘The Kunz Row’ for a lot of time.
In 1873, the building was bought by archduke and prince Johann Salvator of Austria. He was an artillery lieutenant colonel, sent to the Timişoara garrison as punishment for an infatuation he had when he was 16 years old, with Ludmilla (Milly) Stubel, dancer at the London Opera. After many years, he renounced all his titles and became known as Johann Orth, marrying his loved one. He and his wife bought a ship and left on a journey to South America.
The last news on the couple came in February 1890, after which they disappeared without a trace on sea. In a New York Times article in 1899, entitled ’John Orth’ in Argentina. The Austrian Archduke Hiding in Obscurity With His Morganatic Wife is is indicated that the former archduke is the owner of a farm on the Perana river in Argentina. The article ends with the mentioning of Milly Stubel’s mother, which is claimed to be convinced that Johann Orth is still alive and will one day return to his old friends. Such rumors, as well as different individuals claiming to be the archduke, were very common at the time.
After an absence of over twenty years, in 1911 Johann Orth was oficially declared dead.