Heritage of Timișoara

Fabric 13 3 August 1919 blvd.

Kunz Widow's House

Alternative names:

The Artist's House / Mrs. Josef Kunz House

Completion date:

19th century

  • Architect: Unknown
  • Constructor: "Josef Kunz & Comp" Brick Factory
  • Former Owner: Roza Kunz
  • Former Tenant: Choreographer Ecaterina Kato Fleischmann Painter Aurel Breilean Sculptor Ferdinand Gallas Sculptor Romul Ladea
  • Property type: Private property
  • Protection type: Architectural Ensemble
    Urban ensemble "Fabric" (II)
    TM-II-a-A-06097
  • Main arch. style Historicist/Eclectic
  • Current condition Very bad
  • Planimetry Rectangular Complex
  • No. of levels 2
  • Current functions Abandoned




The Kunz Widow’s House (or Mrs. Josef Kunz House) was one of the first buildings to appear after the ban to build on Timişoara citadel’s esplanade was lifted, in 1868.

It is claimed to have been built by Josef Kunz Comp. Brick Factory.

In 1914, the house belonged to Josef Kunz’s widow. It is an important edifice, also called The Artists’ House, because many famous artists, like Romul Ladea, Ferdinand Gallas or Aurel Breilean, had their studios here. After World War II, Ecaterina Kato Fleischmann (teacher at the Art High School, choreographer and art collector)’s dance school was working in the building’s attic.

Authors of this file:

Research & text: Alexandra Palconi

Field research & mapping: arh. Vlad Pată

Translation into English: Alexandra Dragoș

Photographer: Flavius Neamciuc

Last modified: 3 months ago

Niciun material de pe această platformă online/site nu poate fi reprodus parţial, integral, modificat fără permisiunea anterioară explicită, prin acordul scris al Asociaţiei PRIN BANAT.


Conţinutul acestei platforme online/site, textele, grafica, fotografiile, software-ul, logo-urile şi orice alte materiale prezente pe site sunt protejate de legea dreptului de autor şi sunt proprietatea Asociaţiei PRIN BANAT. Află mai multe în secțiunea Terms & Conditions.

Add your contribution to this building!