Heritage of Timișoara

Cetate 12 Revoluției din 1989 blvd.

The Former Dr. Joseph Freund Central Sanatorium

Completion date:


  • Architect: Arch. Albert Kristóf-Krausz
  • Construction authorization: March 28, 1935
  • Property type: Private property
  • Protection type: Unlisted
  • Main arch. style International Style/Modernist
  • Current condition Very good
  • Planimetry Rectangular Complex
  • No. of levels 3
  • Current functions Hospital / Clinic

The building of the former Central Sanatorium, known as Freund Szanatorium, was raised in 1935 after the plans of local architect Albert Krausz. The building authorisation was obtained by Dr. Freund’s wife on the 28th of March 1935. The building’s façade still features the plate that identifies its architect, being inscribed as “Arch. Krausz”. The building’s overall composition is dominated by the horizontal lines that line the row of windows. A different set of three horizontal lines mark the building’s higher corner, and several compositional accents such as the entryway or Art-Deco style mast stand on the façade. The building’s medical tradition is carried on by the healthcare unit functioning today on its premises. 

Authors of this file:

Research & text: Mihai Moldovan

Field research & mapping: Vlad Pată

Translation into English: Dragoș Nuță

Photographer: Aleksandru Grigore

Last modified: 1 year ago

Published on: 22 November 2021

Niciun material de pe această platformă online/site nu poate fi reprodus parţial, integral, modificat fără permisiunea anterioară explicită, prin acordul scris al Asociaţiei PRIN BANAT.

Conţinutul acestei platforme online/site, textele, grafica, fotografiile, software-ul, logo-urile şi orice alte materiale prezente pe site sunt protejate de legea dreptului de autor şi sunt proprietatea Asociaţiei PRIN BANAT. Află mai multe în secțiunea Terms & Conditions.

Add your contribution to this building!