Heritage of Timișoara

Cetate 5 Unirii sq.

The House of the Orthodox Community

Completion date:

1824

  • Architect: Unknown Șerban Sturdza
  • Owner: Serbian Orthodox Episcopate
  • Construction authorization: 1821
  • Property type: Private property
  • Protection type: Historical Site
    Urban site "Cetatea Timișoara"
    TM-II-s-A-06095
  • Main arch. style Neoclassical
  • Current condition Very good
  • Planimetry Rectangular
  • No. of levels 3
  • Current functions Office Building
    Music club/night club
    Bar/Coffee shop




Part of the Serbian ensemble, alongside the Serbian Episcopalian Church and the Palace of Serbian Orthodox Episcopate, The House of the Orthodox Community was built in the first half of the 20th century, between 1821 and 1824. The building, whose plan is shaped like the letter ”U”, has a basement and three storeys, and a facade opening towards the square.

The aesthetic of the facade is typical of the 19th century, with Classical and Baroque elements. Notice the entrance gate ending in a basket arch, flanked by four Ionic columns, two on each side, the commercial ground floor, and the central part of the facade, slightly jutting out. In 1981 when the square was redesigned in Baroque manner, the architect Șerban Sturdza also added a Classicist pediment to this edifice.   

Authors of this file:

Research & text: Mihai-Claudiu Moldovan

Field research & mapping: Vlad Pată, Micoroi Aurelia

Translation into English: Cristina Chira

Photographer: Sorin Silaghi

Last modified: 1 month ago

Niciun material de pe această platformă online/site nu poate fi reprodus parţial, integral, modificat fără permisiunea anterioară explicită, prin acordul scris al Asociaţiei PRIN BANAT.


Conţinutul acestei platforme online/site, textele, grafica, fotografiile, software-ul, logo-urile şi orice alte materiale prezente pe site sunt protejate de legea dreptului de autor şi sunt proprietatea Asociaţiei PRIN BANAT. Află mai multe în secțiunea Terms & Conditions.

Add your contribution to this building!