Heritage of Timișoara

Fabric 1 3 August 1919 blvd.

Székely Widow's House

Alternative names:

Zsuszanna Székely's Palace / Mihály Székely’s Madam’s House

Completion date:

October 24, 1911

  • Architect: Arch. László Székely
  • Former Owner: Zsuzsanna Székely
  • Construction authorization: March 8, 1911
  • Property type: Private property
  • Protection type: Architectural Ensemble
    Urban ensemble "Fabric" (II)
    TM-II-a-A-06097
  • Main arch. style Art Nouveau/Secession
  • Building condition Good
  • Planimetry Rectangular Complex
  • No. of levels 4
  • Current functions Hospital / Clinic
    Multiple property
    Apartment Tower




The Székely Widow's House was one of the first buildings constructed on Liget street (today 3 August 1919 Boulevard), which marks the monumental entrance in Fabric. It was built in 1911, in just 8 months, on the land of the former state wood depot, which was disbanded in 1906.

The edifice stands out with its plastic character, based on simple and abstract geometric decor, announcing the paths that the world’s architecture would take in the future decades.

It was designed in a Viennese Secession style by László Székely, Timişoara’s senior architect between 1903-1922, for his mother, Zsuszanna Székely (born Mados).

According to the century old tradition, it became known as The Szekely Widow’s House or Mihály Székely’s Madam’s House, according the century old tradition. In the interbelic times, Zsuszanna Székely was the president of The Timişoara Evangelical-Reformed Women’s Reunion, along with Ilona Draszkozi.

Vintage photos

Contributors to this record:

Research & text: Alexandra Palconi

Fieldresearch & mapping: arh. Anca-Raluca Majaru, arh. Cristina Chira

Translation into English: Alexandra Dragoş

Photographer: Flavius Neamciuc

Last modified: 4 months ago

Add your contribution to this building!