Heritage of Timișoara

Fabric 27 3 August 1919 blvd.

The former "Queen of England" café

Alternative names:

Arena Summer Theatre / Arena / “At the Queen of England’s” inn / "Queen of England" Tavern

Completion date:

19th century

  • Architect: Unknown
  • Property type: Private property
  • Protection type: Architectural Ensemble
    Urban ensemble “Fabric” (II)
    TM-II-a-A-06097
  • Main arch. style Historicist/Eclectic
  • Building condition Fair
  • Planimetry Rectangular Complex
  • No. of levels 2
  • Current functions Multiple property
    Hospital / Clinic
    Store/Supermarket




Although the building’s current state does not suggest this, here used to be one of the most appreciated establishments in Fabric: ‘Regina Angliei’ (‘Queen of England’) café (in German: "Königin von England"), also known as ‘Regina Angliei’ (‘Queen of England’) tavern.

Moreover, Josef Geml, mayor of Timişoara between 1914-1918, mentions in his monography (Vechea Timişoară în ultima jumătate de secol 1870-1920 - Old Timişoara in the Last Half of Century 1870-1920) that the café’s garden was one of the most popular places in the neighbourhood, along with ‘Curtea Fabricii’ (‘Fabric’s Garden’, ‘Fabrikshof’), ‘Lerchenfeld’ and ‘Schweiz’ or ‘Breslmaier’.

The construction was most probably built in the first half of the 19th century. With Fabric being on a growing slope, building a more spacious inn was discussed, to include more rooms and dance, billiards, or meeting halls. The architect Anton Schmidt was assigned to come up with a suitable project. He designed, for ‘Regina Angliei’ a classic style edifice, with ground and first level (possibly an attic), and with two street fronts - in other words, a much bigger and more impressive building than the current one. Unfortunately, Anton Schmidt’s project did not materialize.

For about 100 years, in the courtyard of the Queen of England inn, the Arena summer theatre performed its activity. According to the monographic study 'The history of two centuries of lyrical theater in Timisoara,' by author Nicolae Ivan, Arena "was a high-rise (and always rebuilt) wooden construction, approximantely located between Roosevelt Square and Detunata street today. In this summer theater were performing troops that trotted here after their main season." In 1860, the same study mentions the "crisis" of the Arena summer theatre, which competed with another three or four summer gardens, where more or less artistic programs were organized.

The study mentions the rebuilding and renovation of Arena in 1853 and 1863. In 1863, the concession of the Fabric summer theatre, owned by Eduard Reimann (the director of the German theatre), was given to the Serbian theatre in Novi Sad, which performed 20 prose shows in Timisoara, in September. The terms of the assignment contract were: 10 florins per night and the renovation of Arena by the director of the Serbian theatre band. In 1919, the Arena no longer exists.

Contributors to this record:

Research & text: Alexandra Palconi

Fieldresearch & mapping: arh. Vlad Pată (coordonator), Dora Andraşoni (voluntar), George Blaj (voluntar), Liliana Batea (voluntar)

Translation into English: Alexandra Dragoş

Photographer: Flavius Neamciuc

Last modified: 8 months ago

Add your contribution to this building!

Written by Ciupitu Georgiana, 10 months ago

Buna seara
Imi cer scuze de deranj, sunt studenta in anul 1 de master de la Restaurare si Regenerare a Patrimoniului, Timisoara si as dori sa realizez o lucrare pe cladirea prezentata de dumneavoastra - Cafeneaua "Regina Angliei". Vroiam sa va intreb daca nu aveti cumva releveurile cladirii sau date ale proprietarilor pt a intra in contact cu acestia, sau orice alte informatii ar fi de mare ajutor.
Multumesc
Arh. Ciupitu Georgiana

Leave a comment!