Heritage of Timișoara

Fabric 33 3 August 1919 blvd.

The Mirbach House

Alternative names:

Countess Ana Mirbach's House

Completion date:

May 13, 1905

  • Architect: Arch. Josef Kremer Sen.
  • Former Owner: Pavle Sterio Polichroni Countess Ana Maria Mirbach
  • Construction authorization: February 29, 1904
  • Property type: Private property
  • Protection type: Architectural Ensemble
    Urban ensemble “Fabric” (II)
  • Main arch. style Art Nouveau/Secession
  • Building condition Fair
  • Planimetry Rectangular
  • No. of levels 3
  • Current functions Store/Supermarket
    Multiple property
    Apartment Tower

In the 19th century, on this land there was a one-level house belonging to Pavle Sterio Polichroni. His daughter, Ana Maria, married to Count Mirbach, built the present house between 1904-1905.

The Mirbach House was built following the plans of architect Josef Kremmer Senior, in a 1900s style (Secession current). The Mirbach Palace bears the name of the countess, but it was never her residence.

The Mirbach House was only a tenement home in which, in the first half of the 20th century, various workshops and trading companies led their affairs, like “A. Schönbrunn & Pinkesz” textile wholesale shop, “Schnabel” garment shop, Korona Bank, “H. M. Engel” watchmaking shop, “Wilhelm Fulop” men’s tailor, textile and gallantry shop, “Steingaszner & Thellmann” smithery, “Haring Gustav” textile and gallantry shop, etc. In the same time, in interbelic times, in the Mirbach House there were the Serbian library in Fabric and the Temišvarski Vesnik editorial office.

In the 1989 Revolution, a commercial space of the house was set on fire.

Vintage photos

Contributors to this record:

Research & text: Alexandra Palconi

Fieldresearch & mapping: arh. Vlad Pată (coordonator), Diana Roth (voluntar), George Blaj (voluntar)

Translation into English: Alexandra Dragoş

Photographer: Flavius Neamciuc

Last modified: 8 months ago

Add your contribution to this building!