Heritage of Timișoara

Fabric 13 3 August 1919 blvd.

Kunz Widow's House

Alternative names:

The Artist's House / Mrs. Josef Kunz House

Completion date:

19th century

  • Architect: Unknown
  • Constructor: "Josef Kunz & Comp" Brick Factory
  • Former Owner: Ms Josef Kunz
  • Former Tenant: Choreographer Ecaterina Kato Fleischmann Painter Aurel Breilean Sculptor Ferdinand Gallas Sculptor Romul Ladea
  • Property type: Private property
  • Protection type: Architectural Ensemble
    Urban ensemble "Fabric" (II)
    TM-II-a-A-06097
  • Main arch. style Historicist/Eclectic
  • Building condition Very bad
  • Planimetry Rectangular Complex
  • No. of levels 2
  • Current functions Abandoned




The Kunz Widow’s House (or Mrs. Josef Kunz House) was one of the first buildings to appear after the ban to build on Timişoara citadel’s esplanade was lifted, in 1868.

It is claimed to have been built by Josef Kunz Comp. Brick Factory. What is more, Josef Geml, mayor of Timişoara between 1914-1918, mentions in his monography that the entire row on 3 August 1919 Boulevard, from the Archduke's House/Josef Kunz House to the former ‘Regina Angliei’ (Queen of England) inn was built by brick manufacturer Josef Kunz.

In 1914, the house belonged to Josef Kunz’s widow. It is an important edifice, also called The Artists’ House, because many famous artists, like Romul Ladea, Ferdinand Gallas or Aurel Breilean, had their studios here. After World War II, Ecaterina Kato Fleischmann (teacher at the Art High School, choreographer and art collector)’s dance school was working in the building’s attic.

Contributors to this record:

Research & text: Alexandra Palconi

Fieldresearch & mapping: arh. Vlad Pată

Translation into English: Alexandra Dragoș

Photographer: Flavius Neamciuc

Last modified: 2 weeks ago

Add your contribution to this building