Heritage of Timișoara

Fabric 5 3 August 1919 blvd.

Franz Anheuer Palace

Completion date:

April 1, 1901

  • Architect: Arch. Eduard (Ede) Reiter
  • Former Owner: Franz Anheuer
  • Property type: Private property
  • Protection type: Architectural Ensemble
    Urban ensemble "Fabric" (II)
    TM-II-a-A-06097
  • Construction auth.: May 21, 1900
  • Main arch. style Art Nouveau/Secession
  • Building condition Good
  • Planimetry Rectangular
  • No. of levels 3
  • Current functions Law Firm/Notary, Multiple property, Apartment Tower




The Franz Anheuer Palace was built between 1900-1901 in Secession style, with the help of civil engineer and architect Eduard (Ede) Reiter. It was built in the same with the Ignacz Heymann House, but the two buildings present completely different plastic expressions.

Its facade stands out through the beautiful feminine figures and the golden lyres adorning the second floor. Franz Anheuer, who had the house built, was the manager of the Savings Bank. His name appears on the list of the last 224 municipal counsellors who, on the 28th of October 1918, in the General Assembly, unanimously decided that:

  1. The city wishes for the immediate ending of peace.
  2. Hungary’s independence will be passed according to the law.
  3. Equality of nationalities will be ensured.
  4. The right to a universal, equal, and secret vote is asked.
  5. Freedom of association is asked.
  6. A national democratic government should be named.

This decision could not be fulfilled because in only three days, on the 31st of October, the ‘Aster Revolution’ reached Timişoara from Budapest and the Banat Republic was proclaimed.

Vintage photos

Contributors to this record:

Research & text: Alexandra Palconi

Fieldresearch & mapping: arh. Anca-Raluca Majaru, arh. Cristina Chira

Translation into English: Alexandra Dragoş

Photographer: Flavius Neamciuc

Last modified: 2 weeks ago

Add your contribution to this building