Heritage of Timișoara

Fabric 9 3 August 1919 blvd.

Miksa Steiner Palace

Alternative names:

Steiner Palace

Completion date:

April 17, 1902

  • Architect: Arch. Eduard (Ede) Reiter
  • Former Owner: Max (Miksa) Steiner
  • Construction authorization: June 4, 1901
  • Property type: Private property
  • Protection type: Architectural Ensemble
    Urban ensemble "Fabric" (II)
    TM-II-a-A-06097
  • Main arch. style Art Nouveau/Secession
  • Building condition Good
  • Planimetry Rectangular Complex
  • No. of levels 3
  • Current functions Bank/Financial Services/Insurance
    Apartment Tower
    Multiple property




Max (Miksa) Steiner developed the Max Steiner Spodium Factory, situated on Buziaşului Road in Fabric, which produced spodium (bone flour and animal coal). Thanks to the factory, Steiner became a prosperous individual, and on his retirement, he built two beautiful houses: the one on 3 August 1919 Boulevard, and one in Cetate, next to Unirii Square, where the Discount Bank had its headquarters.

The Miksa Steiner Palace in Fabric was built between 1901-1902, in eclectic style, with Secession specific decorations and historicist ornaments (observe the bowline and stern on the facade). Shortly after its completion, the Steiner house was declared the most beautiful building in Timişoara.

In a Heritage of Timişoara: Fabric (pilot) interview with an inhabitant of the building, there was talk of veterinary school having temporarily functioned in the building. According to her information, there can be observed words (eg ‘anatomy’) and roman number (eg ‘VII’, possibly 7th grade) carved in the woodworks of the second floor windows. This information is still under verification.

Vintage photos

Contributors to this record:

Research & text: Alexandra Palconi

Fieldresearch & mapping: arh. Anca-Raluca Majaru, arh. Cristina Chira

Translation into English: Alexandra Dragoş

Photographer: Flavius Neamciuc

Last modified: 8 months ago

Add your contribution to this building!