Heritage of Timișoara

Fabric 2 Nistrului Drv.

Károly Kiss House

Alternative names:

Károly Kiss Rental House

Completion date:

1912

  • Architect: Arch. László Székely
  • Former Owner: Eng. Károly Kiss
  • Construction authorization: June 1911
  • Property type: Private property
  • Protection type: Architectural Ensemble
    Urban ensemble "Fabric" (II)
    TM-II-a-A-06097
  • Main arch. style Art Nouveau/Secession
  • Building condition Fair
  • Planimetry Rectangular Complex
  • No. of levels 3
  • Current functions Apartment Tower
    Multiple property




The rental house located on Nistrului Drive no. 2 was built in June 1911. It belonged to the city engineer Károly Kiss, the brother-in-law of the famous László Székely, Timisoara's senior architect between 1903-1922. Before the construction of this building, Károly Kiss lived in an apartment house on Anton Pann street (formerly Pava utca) in Fabric, where his wife Éva managed a beauty salon for women.

The four buildings that today form the block between Splaiul Nistrului, Profesor Dionisie Linţia Street and the Boulevard “3 August 1919” -- that is the Neptun Baths Apartment Building (formerly known as Hungaria Apartment Building or Nobel Apartment Building), the Apartment House of Székely’s Widow, Károly Kiss’ Apartment House and a fourth apartment building with no known name -- were all designed by László Székely in Viennese Secession style, and were erected on the site of the former Imperial Wood Yard in Fabric, abolished in 1906.

Contributors to this record:

Research & text: Alexandra Palconi

Fieldresearch & mapping: arh. Anca-Raluca Majaru, arh. Cristina Chira

Translation into English: Alexandra Dragoş, Cristina Chira

Photographer: Flavius Neamciuc

Last modified: 9 months ago

Add your contribution to this building!