Heritage of Timișoara

Iosefin 40 Iuliu Maniu blvd.

Miksa (Max) Brück Apartment Building

Completion date:

1912

  • Architect: Arch. Henrik Telkes
  • Former Owner: Miksa (Max) Brück
  • Construction authorization: July 1, 1911
  • Property type: Private property
  • Protection type: Architectural Ensemble
    Urban ensemble V
    TM-II-a-B-06105
  • Main arch. style Art Nouveau/Secession
  • Building condition Poor
  • Planimetry Rectangular Complex
  • No. of levels 3
  • Current functions Apartment Tower
    Multiple property




The imposing building is the work of the architect Henrik Telkes, the author of other emblematic edifices in Timișoara. It was built on the site of another building, much more modest in terms of architectural style, which also belonged to the butcher Miksa (Max) Brück. The building permit was issued in July 1911, and the works lasted for a year, the palace being provided with 14 apartments and a total of 37 rooms.

For this three storey building, the architect opted for a geometrical decoration typical of the last phase of Secession. One can’t help noticing the massive bay windows, two storey high, ending in a semi-circular pediment.

Of equal relevance are the anthropomorphic decorations flanking the windows openings. The ground floor is meant as a pedestal for the rest of the building, allowing a clear distinction between the commercial ground floor and the other storeys meant for living.

Contributors to this record:

Research & text: Mihai Moldovan, Alexandra Palconi

Fieldresearch & mapping: arh. Vlad Pată (coordonator), Dariana Pau (voluntar)

Translation into English: Cristina Chira

Photographer: Flavius Neamciuc

Last modified: 7 months ago

Add your contribution to this building!