The Mercur House was constructed between 1908-1909, in Secession style, replacing a more modest house.
The silent partner, Adalbert (Béla) Fiatska, was the president of the ‘Hunnia’ Philatelic Association, established in 1906 with the purpose of easing philatelic exchange between collectors. The house bears its name thanks to the statue of Mercury/Hermes god (the god of merchants, travelers and thieves) which stands on the corner’s top.
In the interbelic times, here worked the ‘Mercur’ trading company (import-export, butchers, cereal shop, petrol, gasoline, etc.). For a few decades, both in the old building, and in the current one, the ground floor was the place where the butcher Nenadovics Alexandru conducted his business.