Before Bega was regularized, Fabric was crossed by many of the river’s arms, which fuelled the factories and the four mills in the neighbourhood. This not only hampered Fabric’s development towards Cetate, but also constantly worsened the sanitary conditions in the neighbourhood, because the houses’ cellars and walls were always damp.
In 1902, an innovative plan to better use Bega’s hydraulic power was proposed, through an electric energy building installation. Therefore, in 1909, execution starts for the new power plant, based on a project created by László Székely, the city’s chief architect, and engineer Emil Szilárd.
The entire work was completed in 1910, fulfilling all expectations and bringing an important profit to the city. Even more, along with the project’s implementation, sanitary conditions in Fabric were significantly improved, and nothing kept it from extending to Cetate. The hydro-electric plant in Fabric still produces electric energy today.