Heritage of Timișoara

Cetate 1 Episcop Augustin Pacha str.

Banat Palace

Alternative names:

Szana Bank / 'Banat House' Company Palace

Completion date:

1922

  • Architect: Josef Kremmer Jr.
  • Former Owner: Sigiszmund Szana
  • Construction authorization: October 1, 1921
  • Property type: Private property
  • Protection type: Historical Site
    "Cetatea Timişoara" Neighborhood
    TM-II-s-A-06095
  • Main arch. style Historicist/Eclectic
  • Current condition Poor
  • Planimetry Square
  • No. of levels 5
  • Current functions Bank/Financial Services/Insurance
    Multiple property
    Office Building




This imposing building located near Sf. Gheorghe (St. George) Square, known to the inhabitants of Timișoara as Szana Bank, Banat House or Banat Palace, impresses through its monumental dimensions, occupying an entire block. The sober style, neutral colours and geometrical decorations which foreshadow the Art Deco style give the entire edifice a monumental attitude. Behind the thick leafage of trees, on the main façade, there are two statues depicting mythological characters in a classical manner. The edifice bears the name of Sigismund Szana, one the most active citizens of Timișoara in the first half of the 20th century, a well-known banker, businessman and philanthropist.

The history of the plot of land that the building is located on is, however, more complex. In the middle ages there was a church near-by with St. George as the patron, mentioned in documents ever since the 14th century. During the Ottoman administration of the city, the church was replaced by The Big Mosque. In the 18th century, on the location of the former mosque, the Jesuit Order built a new church, but this too is brought down at the beginning of the 20th century to make room for a new ensemble consisting of two apartment buildings and a church that the Roman-Catholic Bishopric wanted to build. However, the start of the First World War compromised this plan and the project suffered numerous changes. Eventually, between 1921 and 1922, the new project signed by the architect Josef Kremmer Jr. was erected, resulting in one of the most important banking edifices in Banat.

Authors of this file:

Research & text: Mihai-Claudiu Moldovan

Field research & mapping: Vlad Pată, Alexandra Palconi-Sitov

Translation into English: Cristina Chira

Photographer: Sorin Silaghi

Last modified: 2 weeks ago

Niciun material de pe această platformă online/site nu poate fi reprodus parţial, integral, modificat fără permisiunea anterioară explicită, prin acordul scris al Asociaţiei PRIN BANAT.


Conţinutul acestei platforme online/site, textele, grafica, fotografiile, software-ul, logo-urile şi orice alte materiale prezente pe site sunt protejate de legea dreptului de autor şi sunt proprietatea Asociaţiei PRIN BANAT. Află mai multe în secțiunea Terms & Conditions.

Add your contribution to this building!