Heritage of Timișoara

Elisabetin Sfânta Maria sq.

Virgin Mary Monument

Completion date:

December 16, 1906

  • Architect: Arch. László Székely
  • Sculptor: György Kiss
  • Construction authorization: 1906
  • Property type: Private property
  • Protection type: Historical Site
    Urban site "Vechiul cartier Iosefin"
    TM-II-s-B-06098
  • Main arch. style Historicist/Eclectic
  • Current condition Very good
  • Planimetry Square




Virgin Mary Monument is located in the Saint Mary Square. It was built in 1906. It was built according to a project by László Székely, the chief-architect of Timișoara between 1902-1922, and the statue of Virgin Mary was completed by sculptor György Kiss.

In January 2012, the statue had been vandalized. The restoration works took place between March-May 2012, coordinated by Ion Oprescu, specialist in stone restoration from the National Museum of Banat.

The illustration by Răzvan Cornici captures the subtle nuances of Saint Mary Square, a place full of stories and legends that date back to the 16th century. Among the layers of colourful cardboard used by the artist, we come across historical elements: Saint Mary’s Chapel (1906), The Reformed Church (1902), Árpád Naschitz House (1900), but also references to recent events interpreted in an ironic key

Vintage photos

Authors of this file:

Research & text: Mihai-Claudiu Moldovan

Field research & mapping: Vlad Pată (coordonator)

Translation into English: Cristina Chira

Photographer: Flavius Neamciuc

Last modified: 10 months ago

Niciun material de pe această platformă online/site nu poate fi reprodus parţial, integral, modificat fără permisiunea anterioară explicită, prin acordul scris al Asociaţiei PRIN BANAT.


Conţinutul acestei platforme online/site, textele, grafica, fotografiile, software-ul, logo-urile şi orice alte materiale prezente pe site sunt protejate de legea dreptului de autor şi sunt proprietatea Asociaţiei PRIN BANAT. Află mai multe în secțiunea Terms & Conditions.

labels.frontend.comments.title.object