Heritage of Timișoara

Fabric 6 3 August 1919 blvd.

Illits Gyula Apartment Building

Completion date:

1892

  • Architect: Unknown
  • Former Owner: Gyula Illits
  • Property type: Private property
  • Protection type: Architectural Ensemble
    Urban assemble "Fabric" (II)
    TM-II-a-A-06097
  • Main arch. style Historicist/Eclectic
  • Building condition Fair
  • Planimetry Rectangular Complex
  • No. of levels 3
  • Current functions Apartment Tower
    Multiple property




On the Boulevard “3 August 1919”, across the street from the Lőwy Mór Apartment Building, we find an imposing, three storey edifice, with one facade on the boulevard, and another on Dr. Gheorghe Marinescu Street.

The corner resulting from the intersection of the two facades is blunt, resulting in a corner facade. The whole corner area (the corner facade with the bays closest to it from the other two facades) is slightly protruding, and decorated with embossments on the ground floor level, two-storey-high monumental pilasters which flank the windows of first and second floor, the decoration of windows surrounds varying from one floor to another, as well as an attic with balusters at the top of the building.

Standing close to the building, one is in impressed by its massiveness resulting from the tall base covered in large embossments. Similarly, the ground level is adorned with with embossements, making it look like a pedestal for the rest of the building: all the windows on this level end in semicircular arches and display surrounds with embossments. An intermediary cornice separates this level from the next one. The windows on the first floor are more elaborate, showcasing even anthropomorphic decorations, female faces that foreshadow the architecture of the 1900s. The facade ends in an ornate cornice, with decorative consoles, dentils and a decorative frieze flanked by consoles.

The main access, located on the Boulevard, is marked by a surround with embossments, in line with the style of the ground floor. The portal of solid wood and Neo-Baroque decorations displays on the transom under the fanlight the inscription “1892”, most probably the year of the building’s completion.

This building, the same as most edifices in the area, illustrate the transition period between the Classical and Eclectic architecture of the 20th century and the architecture of the 1900s, in as much as they keep the spatial and structural characteristics of the 19th century, but the decorations of the facades foreshadow a new style.

According to the addresses catalogue from 1906, the owner of this building was Illits Gyula, entrepreneur, owner and manager of various hotels and restaurants in town, including the Trumpeter Hotel in Cetate (the old fortified centre).

Contributors to this record:

Research & text: Mihai Moldovan, Alexandra Palconi

Fieldresearch & mapping: arh. Vlad Pată

Translation into English: Cristina Chira

Photographer: Flavius Neamciuc

Last modified: 6 months ago

Add your contribution to this building!