Heritage of Timișoara

Fabric 4 Dr. Ernest Neumann str.

Dr. Béla Fülöp House

Completion date:

November 7, 1892

  • Architect: Unknown
  • Construction authorization: May 5, 1892
  • Property type: Private property
  • Protection type: Architectural Ensemble
    Urban assemble "Fabric" (II)
    TM-II-a-A-06097
  • Main arch. style Historicist/Eclectic
  • Current condition Good
  • Planimetry Rectangular Complex
  • No. of levels 1
  • Current functions House




In 1858, south of the boulevard currently known as ”3 August 1919”, between Romanilor (Romans’) Square and Regina Maria (Queen Mary) Park, lay The Rope Makers’ Field (Seiler Wiese). Then, in the second half of the 19th century, the place was a park (the so-called Vorpark) which belonged to the city after the army had given it up, condition that it regularly be maintained. However, the park was neglected and used mainly as a playground and for setting up market stalls. In 1888, although the army opposed the decision, the town decided to divide the park into 26 plots (on condition that on Andrássy Way, currently ”3 August 1919” Boulevard, all the buildings will be two storey high).

Among those who purchased the plots, the members of the Kunz family saw the potential of real estate in the area and bought 6 plots. The plot that the building presented here is located on was bought in 1889 by Josef Kunz, the bricks and sodium manufacturer, for 2,117 crowns. Shortly after, Kunz sold the plot to Dr. Béla Fülöp, Timișoara’s representative with the Ministry of Economy and Industry.

On 5 March 1892, Dr. Béla Fülöp obtained the building permit for a one storey house. The works lasted for 9 month and the building was finished on 7 November 1892. Dr Béla Fülöp and his wife, Antonia, lived in the house for more than a decade, specifically until 1905, when they sold the house to the magnate Dávid Blau and his wife, Gizella, for 34,720 crowns. But the building belonged to the Blaus for only a short while.

In December 1907, it was sold again to Flóra Holcz for 41,000 crowns. Our research team advanced the idea that Flóra Holcz was, most probably, the wife of the magnate János Holtz, who is listed in the address book from 1910 as owner of Heymann Apartment Building.

Authors of this file:

Research & text: Alexandra Palconi-Sitov

Field research & mapping: Mihai-Claudiu Moldovan

Translation into English: Cristina Chira

Photographer: Flavius Neamciuc

Last modified: 5 months ago

Published on: 24 January 2021

Niciun material de pe această platformă online/site nu poate fi reprodus parţial, integral, modificat fără permisiunea anterioară explicită, prin acordul scris al Asociaţiei PRIN BANAT.


Conţinutul acestei platforme online/site, textele, grafica, fotografiile, software-ul, logo-urile şi orice alte materiale prezente pe site sunt protejate de legea dreptului de autor şi sunt proprietatea Asociaţiei PRIN BANAT. Află mai multe în secțiunea Terms & Conditions.

Add your contribution to this building!