Heritage of Timișoara

Fabric 2 Dr. Gheorghe Marinescu str.

Dávid Hübsch Palace

Completion date:

19th century

  • Architect: Unknown
  • Former Owner: Mathilda (Hirschl) Hübsch Dávid Hübsch
  • Property type: Private property
  • Protection type: Architectural Ensemble
    Urban ensemble "Fabric" (II)
    TM-II-a-A-06097
  • Main arch. style Historicist/Eclectic
  • Building condition Fair
  • Planimetry Irregular
  • No. of levels 2
  • Current functions Other
    Multiple property
    Apartment Tower
    Other




Following the tram line leading from the center to Traian Square, we arrive on the Boulevard “3 August 1919,” a relatively narrow boulevard flanked by 19th century buildings. Among these, at the junction with Dr. Gheorghe Marinescu Street, we discover an eclectic building made up of a ground floor and a first floor.

The corner of the building is chamfered and decorated with a balcony in whose wrought iron parapet one notices the monogram “DH,” belonging to Hübsch Dávid (1850-1941), forest contractor and owner of the building, as shown in the 1902 Timișoara City Monitor, May number, when Hübsch is permitted to build the balcony, and in address catalogues from 1906 and 1910.

The first floor window, framed by two pilasters of Ionic inspiration, has a classical entablature made up of a triangular pediment supported by decorative consoles called modillions. At the top of the building’s facades, there is a parapet made up of panels with balusters, which accentuates the hierarchical importance of that area. Moreover, the entire area consisting of the corner facade and the first bay of the adjacent facades, jutties from the plane of the facades on Boulevard “3 August 1919” and Dr. Gheorghe Marinescu Street.

The main facade of the building is located on Dr. Gheorghe Marinescu Street and is divided into three horizontal areas: the embossed base containing the ventilation windows of the semi-basement, the ground floor level with a sober decoration of the window surrounds and embossed plastering, and the first floor with more elaborate window surrounds consisting of pediments ending in a flattened arc at the top. The cornice is decorated with modillions, while tre stringcourse between the ground floor and the first floor is decorated with denticles.

The access to the building is treated as an entrance to a Classical temple, with Doric columns on the sides. The broken pediment, the presence of balusters above the entrance portal, as well as the multiplication of ornaments, are all neo-Baroque influences. The portal ends in a semicircular arc. The wooden door is decorated with panels, cups and Colibri birds, as well as with a wrought iron grille over the fanlight.

Contributors to this record:

Research & text: Alexandra Palconi, Mihai Moldovan

Fieldresearch & mapping: arh. Vlad Pată

Translation into English: Cristina Chira

Photographer: Flavius Neamciuc

Last modified: 4 months ago

Add your contribution to this building!