Heritage of Timișoara

Fabric 1 Episcop Ioseph Lonovici str.

Josef Kunz House

Alternative names:

Schlichting Widow's Palace / Johann Engels Palace

Completion date:

October 28, 1892

  • Architect: Unknown
  • Former Owner: Róza Schlichting Johann Engels Entrepreneur Josef Kunz
  • Former Tenant: Annie (Kincs) Hammer Margit (Freiberg) Kincs Arthur Kincs
  • Construction authorization: March 5, 1892
  • Property type: Private property
  • Protection type: Architectural Ensemble
    Urban ensemble “Fabric” (II)
    TM-II-a-A-06097
  • Main arch. style Historicist/Eclectic
  • Building condition Fair
  • Planimetry Irregular
  • No. of levels 3
  • Current functions Apartment Tower
    Law Firm/Notary
    Multiple property




Fabric was the neighbourhood in Timișoara where the Kunz family members built and owned the most properties. After erecting, in 1870, the first two storey building in the neighbourhood, which led to the discontent of other property owners in Fabric, who were afraid that this might decrease their houses’ value, Josef Kunz builds, in 1892, the second two storey building, across the street. From that moment on, the street was also known as ‘The Kunz Row’ until the 1920s.

In the second half of the 19th century, on the area there was only a park (so called Vorpark), property of the city, given up by the army provided the field was regularly taken care of. The park was, however, heavily neglected and used more as a children’s playground and a space for merchants’ stalls and stands. Although the army was against it, in 1888 City Hall decided to parcel out the area into 20 house lots (under the condition that on Andrassy Road, now 3 August 1919 Boulevard, only houses with two levels were to be built). Therefore, in 1892, in only 8 months, the Josef Kunz House was built, in an eclectic style. Unfortunately, once time passed, the edifice lost the statues which adorned its cornice and which appear in numerous old images.

At the beginning of the 20th century, the property is mentioned as being owned by the widow Róza Schlichting, then by Johann Engels, member of the Timișoara City Hall. For a few years, the house was rented to the family of Arthur Kincs, a textile merchant. The family store was set in the Roná Miksa House (4 Ștefan cel Mare Street / 2 Romanilor Square), which was later bought by Arthur Kincs.

Vintage photos

Contributors to this record:

Research & text: Alexandra Palconi

Fieldresearch & mapping: arh. Vlad Pată (coordonator), Diana Roth (voluntar)

Translation into English: Alexandra Dragoş

Photographer: Flavius Neamciuc

Last modified: 9 months ago

Add your contribution to this building!