Heritage of Timișoara

Fabric 2 Ion Luca Caragiale str.

Sinagoga din Fabric

Alternative names:

The Orthodox Jewish Community Synagogue

Completion date:

September 3, 1899

  • Architect: Lipót Baumhorn
  • Construction authorization: July 28, 1897
  • Property type: Private property
  • Protection type: Historical Monument
    Sinagoga din Fabric
    TM-II-m-B-06126
  • Main arch. style Historicist/Eclectic
  • Current condition Poor
  • Planimetry Rectangular Complex
  • No. of levels 2
  • Current functions Sinagogue/Jewish Temple




In 1897, the famed architect Lipót Baumhorn, nicknamed “The father of Synagogues", finishes the plans for the new temple to be built in the Fabric district, and a building permit is soon obtained in the same year on the 28th of July, with local architect József Kremer being responsible for construction. Finished in two years, and inaugurated on the 3rd of September 1899, the temple is remarkable through its play of textures, the use of visible brick, stone ornaments, and the rhythm created on the façade by the arcade frieze. Morphologically, the synagogue mainly uses Romanesque motifs blended with some Moorish influences. The building's dome and richly ornate interior are especially impressive.

Authors of this file:

Research & text: Mihai Moldovan

Field research & mapping: Vlad Pată

Translation into English: Dragoș Nuță

Photographer: Flavius Neamciuc

Last modified: 1 year ago

Published on: 22 November 2021

Niciun material de pe această platformă online/site nu poate fi reprodus parţial, integral, modificat fără permisiunea anterioară explicită, prin acordul scris al Asociaţiei PRIN BANAT.


Conţinutul acestei platforme online/site, textele, grafica, fotografiile, software-ul, logo-urile şi orice alte materiale prezente pe site sunt protejate de legea dreptului de autor şi sunt proprietatea Asociaţiei PRIN BANAT. Află mai multe în secțiunea Terms & Conditions.

Add your contribution to this building!