Heritage of Timișoara

Fabric 2 Prof. Dionisie Linția str.

Karl Kunz Apartment Building

Completion date:

1903

  • Architect: Arch. Gábor Fodor
  • Former Owner: Antreprenor Karl Kunz
  • Construction authorization: February 1903
  • Property type: Private property
  • Protection type: Architectural Ensemble
    Urban ensemble "Fabric" (II)
    TM-II-a-A-06097
  • Main arch. style Historicist/Eclectic
  • Building condition Good
  • Planimetry Rectangular
  • No. of levels 3
  • Current functions Multiple property




The Apartment building on Prof. Dionisie Linția Street no. 2 was erected in 1903 by the roof tiles manufacturer Karl (Károly) Kunz on the site of the former Royal Wood Warehouses.

The construction, built in Eclectic-Historicist style, is anachronic compared to the neighbouring apartment building erected in 1902-1903 by the same Karl (Károly) Kunz on Liget ut (currently 3 August 1919 Boulevard). The building was erected in Secession style according to the plans of the architect Gabor Fodor. As they were built approximately in the same period, both constructions could possibly be the work of the same architect, but our project team is still looking into that hypothesis.

For many years, the current Prof. Dionisie Linția Street did not have a name, and was instead known as Névtelen - The Street With No Name. În 1908, the Town Hall of Timișoara decided that “the street of the two Kunz houses will be named Vécsey Street in memory of Count Károly Vécsey, a general in the Hungarian army executed during the Revolution in 1848-1849 and considered one of the “Thirteen Martyrs in Arad”.

Karl (Károly) Kunz was the brother of the renowned brick manufacturer Josef (József) Kunz. The two ran the brick factory "Josef Kunz & Comp.", which had its headquarters on Buziaşului Way no. 16-18. In 1901, the factory store was located in Cetate (the old fortified centre) on Eugeniu de Savoya Street no. 13 (corner with the current Mărăşeşti pedestrian road, in a building erected by Josef Kunz and Eduard Hartl in 1853). That was also the location of the “STAR” insurance company, similarly owned by the Kunz brothers. Karl Kunz was known, as well, for his locksmith services, alongside mechanical and electrical equipments. His locksmith workshop was situated at the same address as the brick factory (Buziaşului Way, no. 16).

Vintage photos

Contributors to this record:

Research & text: Alexandra Palconi

Fieldresearch & mapping: arh. Anca-Raluca Majaru, arh. Cristina Chira

Translation into English: Cristina Chira

Photographer: Flavius Neamciuc

Last modified: 5 months ago

Add your contribution to this building!