Heritage of Timișoara

Fabric 8 Romanilor sq.

Zala (Friedmann) House

Alternative names:

The House with the Stolperstein

Completion date:

19th century

  • Architect: Unknown
  • Former Owner: Zala Friedmann
  • Former Tenant: Lorand Bloch
  • Property type: Private property
  • Protection type: Architectural Ensemble
    Urban ensemble “Fabric” (II)
    TM-II-a-A-06097
  • Main arch. style Historicist/Eclectic
  • Building condition Poor
  • Planimetry Rectangular Complex
  • No. of levels 3
  • Current functions Multiple property, Law Firm/Notary




According to old images, the building had already been erected when the ‘Millenium’ Roman-Catholic church was being built (1896-1900) in Coronini Square (today Romanilor Square). The name ‘Zala’ (the owner’s wife) comes from interbelic times.

Lorand Bloch, a Jewish man born in 1909, lived here. In 1941, he was detached to the working camp at Păuliş-Ghioroc (Arad county), where he died, on November 12th, 1943.

In 2014, the first and only Stolperstein (cobblestone-size concrete cube, commemorating victims of Nazi extermination or persecution) in Timişoara and Romania was set here, commemorating him.

Vintage photos

Contributors to this record:

Research & text: Alexandra Palconi

Fieldresearch & mapping: arh. Vlad Pată (coordonator), Raluca Ilie (voluntar), Liliana Batea (voluntar), Dora Andraşoni (voluntar), Sandra Andrei (voluntar), Mihai Moldovan (voluntar)

Translation into English: Alexandra Dragoş

Photographer: Flavius Neamciuc

Last modified: 2 weeks ago

Add your contribution to this building