Heritage of Timișoara

Iosefin 16 Decembrie 1989 blvd.

Traian bridge

Alternative names:

Hunyadi hid

Completion date:

1917

  • Architect: Arch. Elemér Wachtel
  • Construction authorization: 1913
  • Property type: Public property
  • Protection type: Protected Area
    Urban site "Vechiul cartier Iosefin"
    TM-II-s-B-06098
  • Main arch. style Historicist/Eclectic
  • Building condition Very good
  • Planimetry Rectangular
  • No. of levels 0
  • Current functions Bridge




In the 19th century, on the site of the current bridge there was a wooden bridge called "Große-Brücke", replaced around 1871 by a new metal one.

At the beginning of the 20th century, it was decided to be replaced with a modern reinforced concrete bridge in order to support the development of the infrastructure, and the metallic structure of the old one was used to build a new downstream bridge (the current Metal Bridge).

Thus, in 1911, a public competition was organized for the realization of the architectural projects for the new bridge. Out of 21 projects, the winner was declared architect Elemér Wachtel. The proposed project was a monumental, romantic one with a medieval appearance. It was provided with towers, galleries and several statues, among which we mention the equestrian statue of Iancu de Hunedoara.

The outbreak of the First World War has diminished these plans, and after the war the artistic works of the project have never been achieved.

Contributors to this record:

Research & text: Mihai Moldovan

Fieldresearch & mapping: Mihai Moldovan

Translation into English: Alexandra Palconi

Photographer: Flavius Neamciuc

Last modified: 2 months ago

Add your contribution to this building!