Heritage of Timișoara

Iosefin 36 Iuliu Maniu blvd.

Csermák Apartment Building

Alternative names:

Nandor & Csermák Apartment Buildings

Completion date:

1912

  • Architect: Arch. Henrik Telkes
  • Former Owner: Tamas Csermák Nandor Csermák
  • Construction authorization: July 1, 1911
  • Property type: Private property
  • Protection type: Protection Area
    Urban Ensemble IV
    TM-II-a-B-06105
  • Main arch. style Art Nouveau/Secession
  • Building condition Very good
  • Planimetry Rectangular Complex
  • No. of levels 3
  • Current functions Store/Supermarket
    Multiple property




The two twin buildings mirroring each other are connected by a commercial corridor at ground level and have been designed by the architect Henrik Telkes from Timișoara. They belonged to twin brothers Nandor and Tamas Csermák.

The building permit for the two palaces was issued on 11 July 1911. The works were completed in 1912, the palaces being provided together with a total of 38 apartments and 72 rooms. Studying old maps of the city, one notices the local authorities’ plan to build a commercial passageway between Iuliu Maniu Boulevard (formerly Fröbel Street) and Văcărescu Street (formerly Bem Street), a plan that was never carried out. The buildings display the style typical of the 1900s, with abstract, geometrical decorations.

The fact that presently only one of the two buildings has been restored allows the passers-by to compare different hypostasis of built environment.

Contributors to this record:

Research & text: Mihai Moldovan, Alexandra Palconi

Fieldresearch & mapping: arh. Vlad Pată (coordonator), Raul Andrei Rusu (voluntar)

Translation into English: Cristina Chira

Photographer: Flavius Neamciuc

Last modified: 8 months ago

Add your contribution to this building!

Written by Misu, 8 months ago

AMINTIRI.....

Leave a comment!