Heritage of Timișoara

Fabric 1 Prof. Dionisie Linția str.

Károly Kiss Apartment Building

Completion date:

1912

  • Architect: Arch. László Székely
  • Former Owner: Eng. Károly Kiss
  • Property type: Private property
  • Protection type: Architectural Ensemble
    Urban ensemble "Fabric" (II)
    TM-II-a-A-06097
  • Construction auth.: June 1911
  • Main arch. style Art Nouveau/Secession
  • Building condition Fair
  • Planimetry Rectangular Complex
  • No. of levels 3
  • Current functions Store/Supermarket, Hospital / Clinic, Multiple property




In 1910, the Town Hall of Timișoara decided to sell the plot of land of 394 square “stânjeni” (approx 1,300 square metres) situated between the houses of Karl (Károly) Kunz and the Bega embankment, to the town engineer Károly Kiss. The transaction was carried out at the price of 55 crowns per square “stânjen”, on condition that Kiss built there, in the following year, only two storey buildings, with flats for rent. Thus, in 1911, the two Kiss apartment buildings appear, stretching today from Nistrului Embankment to Prof. Dionisie Linția Street.

These edifices are the work of the brother-in-law of Károly Kiss, the famous László Székely, Chief-Architect of Timişoara between 1903 and 1922. Moreover, all four buildings making up the block between Nistrului Embankment, Prof. Dionisie Linţia Street and 3 August 1919 Boulevard, that is the Neptun Baths Apartment Building (formerly known as Hungaria Apartment Building or Nobel Apartment Building), the Székely Widow’s Apartment Building, and the two apartment buildings owned by Károly Kiss, have all been designed by László Székely in Viennese Secession style. They were erected on the location of the former Royal Wood Warehouse in Fabric, demolished in 1906, and they were the last buildings on Liget ut (today 3 August 1919 Boulevard) staging a triumphal entrance into Fabric neighbourhood.

Before the construction of this building, Károly Kiss lived in an apartment house on Anton Pann Street (formerly Pava utca) in Fabric, in a building where his wife, Éva, managed a beauty salon for women.

Contributors to this record:

Research & text: Alexandra Palconi

Fieldresearch & mapping: arh. Anca-Raluca Majaru, arh. Cristina Chira

Translation into English: Cristina Chira

Photographer: Flavius Neamciuc

Last modified: 1 week ago

Add your contribution to this building!