Heritage of Timișoara

Iosefin 7 Anton Seiller str.

Emilia Reiter Villa

Completion date:

1899

  • Architect: Arch. Eduard (Ede) Reiter
  • Former Owner: Emilia Reiter
  • Construction authorization: July 1899
  • Property type: Private property
  • Protection type: Architectural Ensemble
    Urban ensemble "Str. Anton Seiller"
    TM-II-a-B-06112
  • Main arch. style Historicist/Eclectic
  • Current condition Fair
  • Planimetry Rectangular Complex
  • No. of levels 2
  • Current functions Office Building




In July 1899, a building permit was released for Emilia Reiter for a two storey house on what is now Anton Seiller Street (correctly “Anton Sailer” - the name “Anton Seiller” is a misspelling that appears, unfortunately, even in Timișoara’s official record of streets), alongside the Eduard (Ede) Reiter Villa and Ludmilla Lechner House. All three buildings share the same fence, a detail that further supports the claim that all three buildings were designed by the same architect.

Emilia Reiter Villa is more imposing and more monumental than its next-door neighbour, Eduard (Ede) Reiter Villa. However, the same as its neighbour, Emilia Reiter villa displays an octogonal tower, but at the back of the building. The main facade is decorated with classical elements and its whole silhouette remind one of the Renaissance villas in Italy.

In 1899, the architect Eduard (Ede) Reiter was hired by the South Hungary Hat Factory Ltd to design the plans for their future building. The project was finalised in 1900 and was located across the street from the three villas on Anton Seiller Street. Thus the area became an architectural reservation for the creations of Eduard (Ede) Reiter.

In the address book of 1906, Eduard (Ede) Reiter is listed as the owner of the building and living at the address. It is up to future research to establish the relationship between Eduard and Emilia Reiter, or between Eduard and Ludmilla Lechner.

After Eduard (Ede) Reiter’s death in 1908, the property was sold to Kornel Tunner, a master stone carver and manufacturer of tombstones who appears as owner of the building in Timișoara’s address book from 1910. Between the two world wars, the building hosted the Consulate of Uruguay. The consul, at the time, was Eng. Mákri Alexandru.

Authors of this file:

Research & text: Alexandra Palconi-Sitov, Mihai-Claudiu Moldovan

Field research & mapping: Arh. Vlad Pată (coordonator)

Translation into English: Cristina Chira

Photographer: Flavius Neamciuc

Last modified: 3 months ago

Niciun material de pe această platformă online/site nu poate fi reprodus parţial, integral, modificat fără permisiunea anterioară explicită, prin acordul scris al Asociaţiei PRIN BANAT.


Conţinutul acestei platforme online/site, textele, grafica, fotografiile, software-ul, logo-urile şi orice alte materiale prezente pe site sunt protejate de legea dreptului de autor şi sunt proprietatea Asociaţiei PRIN BANAT. Află mai multe în secțiunea Terms & Conditions.

Add your contribution to this building!