Heritage of Timișoara

Iosefin 2 Miron Costin str.

Dr. László Rötth House

Completion date:

1901

  • Architect: Unknown
  • Former Owner: Dr. László Rötth
  • Construction authorization: October 1900
  • Property type: Private property
  • Protection type: Historical Site
    Urban site "Vechiul cartier Iosefin"
    TM-II-s-B-06098
  • Main arch. style Historicist/Eclectic
  • Building condition Very good
  • Planimetry Rectangular Complex
  • No. of levels 2
  • Current functions House
    Office Building




After the dismantling of the wood storage houses owned by the Bayersdorf company, which used to be located between Horváth Boldizsár Street (today Miron Costin Street) and the Hunyadi Bridge (today Traian Bridge), and after the interdiction to build outside Timişoara’s walls was lifted, a new opportunity was created. The land in that area was managed by the Town Hall of Timişoara and, between 1898 and 1903, several new monumental buildings were erected: The Palace of Waters, the Southernland Casino Palace, the building of the Sectorial Health House, the István Nemes Apartment Building, the Winkler House etc. This is how the Rötth László House came into being.

In 1900, Rötth László purchased the plot of land from the Town Hall of Timişoara through an auction. The final price was 5.179 crowns. The transaction was finalized in September 1900. A month later, a building permit was issued to him for a two storey building. It is worth mentioning that this was the minimum number of storeys allowed on that plot according to the Town Halls’ development plan for the area.

Rötth was a judge at the Royal Court of Appeal in Budapest, which was basically the king’s justice court. The institution functioned within the Royal Hungarian Palace in Budapest and was made up of public figures, mostly aristocrats. The Royal Court of Appeal had jurisdiction over treason, insult, mutiny, money laundering and other crimes which directly concerned the king and the royal family.

Contributors to this record:

Research & text: Alexandra Palconi-Sitov

Fieldresearch & mapping: Arh. Vlad Pată (coordonator), Nikola Trajkovski (voluntar)

Translation into English: Cristina Chira

Photographer: Flavius Neamciuc

Last modified: 3 months ago

Add your contribution to this building!