Heritage of Timișoara

Cetate 2 Revoluției din 1989 blvd.

The Postal Office

Completion date:

1914

  • Architect: Ignác Alpár
  • Owner:
  • Construction authorization: April 15, 1911
  • Property type: Private property
  • Protection type: Architectural Ensemble
    Urban ensemble IX
    TM-II-a-B-06114
  • Main arch. style Art Nouveau/Secession
  • Other arch. styles Historicist/Eclectic
  • Current condition Good
  • Planimetry Rectangular Complex
  • No. of levels 4
  • Current functions Postal Facility




Between 1911-1914, one of the biggest edifices in Timișoara was built on the location of the city’s former fortifications. Ignác Alpár, a famous architect from Budapest, designed the Postal Palace in a moderate 1900s style, mixing Secession with Eclectic elements.

The four-storey building impresses viewers with its monumental size and formal and chromatic sobriety. In terms of detail, the building is embellished by decorative panels with garlands and mascarons, as well as with the motif of The Green Man. The main facade, which is located on the narrow side of the building towards ”The Revolution in 1989” Boulevard, displays eight monumental columns with Secession capitals decorated with women’s faces.

Authors of this file:

Research & text: Mihai-Claudiu Moldovan

Field research & mapping: Vlad Pată, Alexandra Palconi-Sitov

Consultant: Mihai Opriș

Translation into English: Cristina Chira

Photographer: Sorin Silaghi

Last modified: 1 month ago

Niciun material de pe această platformă online/site nu poate fi reprodus parţial, integral, modificat fără permisiunea anterioară explicită, prin acordul scris al Asociaţiei PRIN BANAT.


Conţinutul acestei platforme online/site, textele, grafica, fotografiile, software-ul, logo-urile şi orice alte materiale prezente pe site sunt protejate de legea dreptului de autor şi sunt proprietatea Asociaţiei PRIN BANAT. Află mai multe în secțiunea Terms & Conditions.

Add your contribution to this building!