Heritage of Timișoara

Fabric 10 Dacilor str.

Kovács House

Alternative names:

Anton Nägele House / Kovács Pharmacy

Completion date:

July 18, 1911

  • Architect: Arch. Henrik Telkes
  • Former Owner: Pharmacist Aladár Kovács Anton Nägele
  • Former Tenant: Pharmacist Eduard Feigl Pharmacist Ferdinand Supp Pharmacist Franz Hönig
  • Construction authorization: August 23, 1910
  • Property type: Private property
  • Protection type: Unlisted
    TM-II-s-B-06096
  • Main arch. style Art Nouveau/Secession
  • Building condition Poor
  • Planimetry Irregular
  • No. of levels 3
  • Current functions Apartment Tower
    Other
    Store/Supermarket
    Other
    Multiple property




At the end of the 20th century, on the premises of the current Kovács House, there was another building, in which the third pharmacy in Fabric was founded.

The opening of ‘La Sfânta Treime’ (‘The Holy Trinity’) pharmacy was a premiere of the times: in 1873, asked by the city, the Health Ministry agreed and authorized the municipality to grant personal rights through a contest. Out of 3 contestants, Franz Hönig was chosen.

In 1891, Hönig sold the pharmacy to Ferdinand Supp. In 1893, it was sold to Eduard Feigl, in 1894 to Ernest Vida, in 1898 to Ignacz Neumann. Eventually, the pharmacy reaches the posession of Anton Nägele, a pharmacist who, between 1910-1911, built the current edifice in Secession style.

The building is named after doctor Aladár Kovács, who bought both the building, and the pharmacy from Nägele, in 1917. Even today, at the building’s ground floor, there is a pharmacy.

Vintage photos

Contributors to this record:

Research & text: Alexandra Palconi

Fieldresearch & mapping: arh. Vlad Pată

Translation into English: Alexandra Dragoş

Photographer: Flavius Neamciuc

Last modified: 8 months ago

Add your contribution to this building!